Clay, the basic material for all of my hand made products, but most people don't really understand what it is. I collected some clay from this clay pit, it's one I've been using for years and known about all my life. 


Clay is most simply explained as decomposed rock, a process that takes years and of course is always on going. Here at St Agnes clay pit, Dobles Clay, they drain the pit every now and then, and then process the clay.


This is inside the shed where all the magic happens and it looks like something going back in time but it's right on the cliff edge and exposed to all the best the British weather has to offer.


These days people are much keener to check where products come from, where the materials come from and how they are made, so, my clay comes from St Agnes clay pit, Cornwall. It was at St Agnes Primary School I made my first clay pots. A village I lived in and next to for my childhood and teenage years.

I was brought up in Cornwall as my Dad was a lighthouse keeper. The ammonite as my clay stamp works for me on lots of levels, my Cornish up-bringing and my relationship to Shrewsbury and it's link to Darwin and it's been a stamp I've used for years.

I didn't plan all of this when I decided to set up my business, it's just how it is!

Anybody visiting Cornwall wanting to see a proper clay pit, not on an industrial level, get to St Agnes, head through the village and turn left past the St Agnes Hotel up to the Beacon, turn right down a dirt track clearly heading to a view point and on your right there's a gate for Doble Clay Pit, if he's in, go see an ancient clay pit and buy a bag. It's good stuff.